Monday, March 25, 2013

Need vs Want



"If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small."
 - C. S. Lewis

    This summer I read the book "Radical" by David Platt, I highly recommend reading it. It is incredible and challenged how I live. Here is a story David shares on page 15 of "Radical" concerning 2 articles he saw in a Christian news publication: 
      
"The front cover had two headlines side by side. I'm not sure if the editor planned for these particular headlines to be next to each other or if he just missed it a really bad way. 
        On the left one headline read, 
'First Baptist Church Celebrates New $23 Million Building.'
        On the right hand was a much smaller article.
'Baptist have raised $5,000 to send to refugees in western Sudan.' 
        Five thousand dollars.
        That is not enough to get a plane into Sudan, much less one drop of water to people who need it. 
$23 million dollars for an elaborate sanctuary and $5,000 dollars for hundreds of thousands starving men, women and children, most of whom were dying apart from faith in Christ." 


         Throughout reading this book I felt so convicted about all the unnecessary things that I clutter my life with. I have been blessed with so much, but I don't fully use those blessings to bless others. Sure, I give to charity, tithe every week and even forgo birthday presents to raise money for Joy Ranch Children's Home. But, I don't give until it hurts. 
And, that's what Christ expects of us. 
That's the example He set when He took my shame and sin upon His blameless self; giving me "the gift of God [which] is eternal life through Jesus Christ."
 (Romans 6:23)
Although I am incredibly undeserving, I have been given everything I could ever need, want or hope to have through eternal security in Christ. 
"Freely I have received" so I should "freely give."
Matthew 10:8
      The Lord started opening up my eyes to how certain things are needs (clothes, food, shelter, etc.). But these same things can become wants when I'm not satisfied with them. Instead of being satisfied with the clothes I already have (which is more than enough) 
I want new clothes.
Instead of being content to use my meal plan and eat in the caf 
I want to go to Chick Fil A. 
And, I'm not satisfied that I have a roof over my head because 
I don't enough cute picture frames decorating my dorm room. 
       
   In August a specific 'want' I felt the Lord showing me was my iPhone and the $30 a month internet fee that it demands. I love my iPhone, I love being able to kill time on Facebook when I'm in a long line or riding in the car. I love instantly updating my Twitter with witty statues or pictures. And, I simply love my iPhone because it's an iPhone and iPhones are cool. 
      And, the iPhone 4 was about to come out and I was so ready and excited about upgrading…can we say FaceTime?! So, I thought 'well Lord, let's compromise, how about I don't upgrade to the iPhone 4? I'll just be satisfied with my 3G. After all by not upgrading I'll save a few hundred dollars. I can donate that to something.' 
Corrie Ten Boom said
 "Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open."
 I think it's obvious that I was holding a silly thing like a smart phone too tightly. 
      
       By mid September the Lord had completely changed my heart. It didn't happen at one specific moment, it was just a gradual shift in my thinking until I could NOT wait to get rid of my iPhone and switch over to a Razr. Instead of paying thirty dollars a month for my internet fee I decided that I'd rather use that money to sponsor a child in Africa.
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." 
The Lord is so awesome and gracious,  He supplied me with a free, pink Razr. Which was exactly the color I was looking for :-) 
    My parents were/are super supportive of my idea, their only request was that I wait until I came home for CHRISTmas break until I made the switch. So, yesterday I removed my SIMS card from my high tech iPhone and placed it in a simple Motorola Razr phone. I'm calling to cancel the internet fee today and then I'm going to set up a monthly child sponsorship through www.Amazima.org 


 The thing that excites me the most is how the Lord completely changed my heart.
 I didn't do a thing to change myself. I'm selfish, I like luxury.
But my God is giving. 
 It is %100 Him demonstrating His lovegrace and selflessness
through a nobody like me 
for HIS GLORY. 




<

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, 
where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. 
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, 
where moth and dust do not destroy 
and where thieves do not break in and steal. 
For where your treasure is there your heart will be also." 
 Matthew 6:19-20

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones 
because he is my disciple, 
I tell you the truth, 
he will certainly not lose his reward." 
Matthew 10:42

No comments:

Post a Comment