Monday, March 25, 2013

Love, Love, Love: Valentines Day Thoughts


                Well Friends, today's Valentines Day and like a lot of girls I recently saw the movie The Vow. It was okay, better than Dear John but not as good as The Notebook. I've noticed that romantic movies like The Vow, Dear John, A Walk To Remember and The Notebookall seem to have a running theme. Firstly, the guy normally falls in love with the girl when she can't stand him (please remember the ferris wheel scene of The Notebook).Secondly, the guy loves the girl no matter what terrible thing she does (Again, in The Notebook Allie left Noah for 7 years, became engaged to another man and yet Noah was still crazy about her). And, the guy loves the girl enough to die for her (Everyone remembers the epic Titanic scene when Jack gives up his chance of living so that Rose can float on the door). 
   This morning when I was writing in my prayer journal I decided to keep with the Valentines Day theme and praise God for His great love towards me. As I was thanking Him for things I noticed that the Lord loves me in every way that Hollywood movies try to capture "the perfect love." And, the most awesome thing about the Lords love is that it does not end the second the movie screen goes black. His love is REAL. It's not a fabricated love, acted out between two paid actors, that's being directed by some hotshot movie director. Take a look at some of the Scriptures the Lord laid on my heart this morning. 
    First of all,  "When we were ENEMIES we were reconciled to God" that's what Romans 5:10 says that we were ENEMIES of God and yet we read in 1 John 4:19 that "We love God because God first loved us." That kind of love trumps the love found in the Notebook. Allie wasn't Noah's enemy,  she was just playing hard to get. We were straight up enemies towards God and instead of Him killing every single one of us, He reached His hand out to us in love. 

    Secondly, God loves us and He is jealous for us. He wants our love and affection to be on Him. But so many times throughout the day and my life I give more love to other things than I do to Him. If you’ve ever been in a relationship think about how angry it makes you feel if your significant other flirts with someone else. Not very good, right? Well, that’s what I do to God on a daily basis and it must hurt Him so much more because He loves me so much more.But God never gives up on me, even when I love myself and others more than I love Him. Thankfully, my actions, whither good or bad, don't determine God's love for me.One of my favorite scriptures says:

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, nor angles nor demons, nor the present or the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" 
(Romans 8:38-39). 

        
And lastly, "Greater love have no man than this, than to lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).  
Christ died for ME. 
I don't have to look to a romantic movie, book or relationship to find love because I already have all the love I could want through Christ. 
    So for everyone out there, single, married, dating or engaged, take time today to write a love letter of praise and thankfulness to Jesus, He loved you first, His love never ends and He died on a cross for you! To me that's the best love story ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment