Monday, March 25, 2013

A Life that Matters


"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." 
-Jim Elliot 

    Yesterday someone asked me if I was really sure about wanting to spend my life in Africa. Why would I want to leave America, they asked, didn't I know that I would lose contact with most of my friends and family living here?

     With my first trip to Africa coming up (in THIRTEEN DAYS!) I have had a spirit of doubt that has been saying "what if you don't like Africa, what if it's not what you have imagined it to be?" At first I was scared, I let this spirit of fear have a place in my mind. But, then I realized that it's not about me and what I like. I'm sure I would like spending my life in America, getting married and having kids. I'm sure I would like living close to my parents and being able to celebrate holiday traditions with them. But God didn't create me do what I like, He created me to bring glory to HIS holy name. 
    
      Every day countless people die in Africa, people who never have heard of the name of Jesus Christ. People who don't know that they don't have to spend eternity in hell for being children of wrath because they have a loving, all powerful Savior who died for them. If the tables were turned and I was the ignorant sinner living in the African Bush I would want someone to come share the Good News of Jesus Christ with me. 
  
    Our lives on earth are so short, just a vapor in the wind, but eternity is f o r e v e r. At the end of my life I don't want to look back and see that I'm empty of eternal impacts while full of earthly rewards. I don't want a life that only consists of vacations, awards, good grades and fun memories. I want to look back on a life that was poured out for the sake of the Gospel. I want to know that my life impacted and changed where someone will spend ETERNITY. 

   And that is why I'm positive that I want give my life bringing glory to God. Being His vessel in Africa and having the privilege to be an instrument that He uses to show His grace and power through the redemption of lost and dying people. 


In a life that is soon to be past, only WHAT IS DONE FOR CHRIST WILL LAST. 



"GO therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." 
Matthew 28:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment